Friday, December 30, 2005

Tidal waves by throwing pebbles

In 1960, meteorologist Ed Lorenz was scratching his head over a piece of code that was definitely "buggy". When he tried to run the simulations again with the same initial conditions, to his surprise they spewed out totally different curves. Nothing like what he saw the previous day. After primping and ploughing around with his program, he found out that the only difference in code was in the level of precision he used to describe initial values. Apparently a small change in the preliminary conditions could change the results dramatically. He had stumbled into some serious stuff - the beginnings of chaos theory and chaotic systems. Since he was only a meteorologist and no condescending Caltech physicist, he came up with a moderately catchy phrase for his paper:

" One flap of a seagull's wings would be enough to alter the
course of the weather forever".

"The Butterfly Effect" - A movie I recently watched - borrows heavily on this theme and it opened with a quote:

"the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon
halfway around the world".

[Cast: Ashton Kutcher (That 70's show), Amy Smart (Catch me if you can),..]

The typhoon causing butterflies are clearly more poetic than seagulls: butterflies flutter by from daisies to daffodils, whereas seagulls use their bowels to shoot smelly projectiles at people and statues. At this point, the movie had made me curious - an enigmatic opening statement, and the possibility of Ashton Kutcher in a serious movie. After sitting through it for about 2 hours, here's the story in a sentence: A guy visits his past to set things right, but screws up despite multiple attempts.

At the end of the movie, I believe the director wanted us to feel like Ashton Kutcher's character -- I think people would have left the movie wondering where in the story they could go back, change a bit and save the script. A good beginning, a good premise and a lot of promise. Unfortunately it did nothing more than make me write the following.

Conversation with a Killer Butterfly
I said to the bug:

Hey pretty butterfly, innocent thing
Hopping from bloom to bloom
Don't ever flap your tender wing-
You could send us all to doom!

It said:

[ why don't you speak for it? I'll put mine in some time?]

And flew away.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vinit said...

They told the butterfly:
Hey pretty butterfly, innocent thing
Hopping from bloom to bloom
Don't ever flap your tender wing-
You could send us all to doom!

Now the butterfly (it was a genuine one not one of those cheapo "I cant believe its not butterfly") was irritated at being told what to do and angrily retorted:

So short is life
Like a passing breeze
Bask in the wonders rife
Worry only if you must

Thundering clouds you do not hear
Cos its the lightining that you fear
Why shy away from love
White and pure like the dove
Fearing that it might fly
and leave you alone as time goes by

Let me flap my wings
To my hearts desire
Let me thrive in my innocence
Forget the typhoon, enjoy the wind
If I cause the doom
At least I can proudly say
I was not a prisoner
Bound to the ground
I could fly and fly I did
Die if you must, but let me live

My life was short but look at me
Scared of the rain I never was
Basked in the sun amongt the flowers
When rains came they took me away
Cos I was in the meadows and not in the cave
But I feel no regret nor sorrow
I surfed with the winds, I lived my life
After all I'm a (killer) butterfly

1:11 AM  
Blogger divide_by_zero said...

Nice one! A very good effort.

Thus spoke the butterfly,
Happy, Wise and Free,
"They call me Vinit Ogale -
Live and let me be"

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
  • You are free to distribute or copy this material as long as you attribute the work as that of the author of these pages.