Monday, November 28, 2005

where winds talk...


Location: Guadalupe Mountains - 4:30 am, Thursday, 24th November.

I am sure u've heard the following joke on Sherlock Holmes - Mr.Holmes and Dr. Watson on a campsite, both are lying on the ground and staring upwards.
Sherlock: Watson, what do you infer from seeing all the stars in the sky?
Watson: I am not sure... Is it a rare eclipse or a comet or something?
Sherlock: No dear Watson, it is elementary - We have no tent.

That was exactly what happened. Having driven close to 10 hrs, my dear campmates let me in on a little secret. Well, it was going to become obvious anyway. We had forgotten the tent. Yes - it is possible! And to think I was ribbing that guy for forgetting his binoculars!!

I dont know how the planning happened, but it couldv'e well been along these lines:
Going camping? Yes. Coffee filters? check. Extra shoe laces? check. Nailcutters? check. Tent? Hmm... Let see.. No, but who needs a tent anyways, one can't carry everything??? Jokes aside, it turned out that way for the better - sleeping in the open chihuahuan desert was a GREAT experience. Nothing like it!

Lying on the open ground, (on sleeping bags that we had not forgotten) it was phenomenal to hear the primitive sounds of the wind. I want to say "that it was like an intimate exchange between the wind and the land that one felt almost embarrassed to be in the midst of it", but it sounds rather too cheezy.. I'll relegate the thought to the following..

Affairs of the desert
-----------------------

T'is the language of the land
And the Wind that draws its gentle hand
O'er the contours of the lass
Who wears skimpy gowns of grass

"Oohoo" says the silly breeze
And she remains a wicked tease
Their sounds of joy surround the place
I fell asleep in a happy haze

(To my excuse, I wrote this when I was really drowsy.. I am getting drowsier, so I'll add another blog on the same trip a little later...)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can someone rebember to take coffee filters and forget a tent?
Maybe your friend is studying so bad he's killing his brain cells.
You should try to help him.

1:00 AM  
Blogger divide_by_zero said...

lol

8:46 AM  
Blogger Vinit said...

Maybe your friend is studying so bad he's killing his brain cells.
You should try to help him.


:)
Ok, this is the brain dead friend who forgot the tent. The trip cured me. Now, I carry the tent with me everywhere I go.

4:31 PM  
Blogger divide_by_zero said...

haha.. Vinit, have u ever studied that hard?? Well, I forgot to ask him about the tent as well!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Harish said...

Hey Sundar. Nice blog.
How're things?

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
  • You are free to distribute or copy this material as long as you attribute the work as that of the author of these pages.